24 September 2018

RC Dork: The RC history Part 1

The introduction.

Hey there! How nice of you to visit my little corner of the web. As this is all new to me too, I'll start by introducing myself. And taking you along through the history of my RC hobby seems like a fun way to do that. Over the next few days I'll post a bit about my journey through RC every day.

My name is Pepijn (yeah, if you don't speak Dutch, don't bother trying to pronounce the :P ) and as you might have guessed by now, I'm from the Netherlands. And in various places on the internet, you can find me under the name RC Dork (or RCDork, or RCDork79). I've been into RC vehicles for most of my life although it has varied a bit how active I have been over the years as life tends to get in the way of things. I have played around with a quadcopter and some boats for a bit, but my first and true RC love has 4 wheels.

Not mine, but one just like it. Picture courtesy of the internet.

It all started out somewhere in the 80s of the 20th century, when I used my savings to buy a Nikko Big Horn toy grade RC. A funny little car, somewhat based off an early 80s Isuzu Big Horn/Trooper. It was a fixed axle rear wheel drive with approximately zero torque (carpets were a challenge), it had non-proportional steering and was pretty horrible to drive. But it had a working winch and with all its shortcomings it was a good way to learn how to drive an RC. I really loved the thing to death. And at some point, it actually died. At the time I wasn't really concerned with preserving childhood memories and my curiosity got the better of me, so I took it apart. It's gone now, but I think I may have the battery cover somewhere in a box in the attic.

P.S. If you have one of these for sale, in decent working condition and for a reasonable price, drop me a message :)


No comments:

Post a Comment