26 September 2018

RC Dork: The RC history Part 3

My first kit.

My love for RC went on the back burner for a few years. We moved to a new town, high school happened, music, computers and other things big kids do took up my free time. I lusted after the Tamiya kits the local hobby shop had on display for years, but I was never able to afford them as I blew all my money on CDs, concerts and beer.
But once I was old enough to start driving, I got an after school job and bought a car (my moms old car, which was actually cheaper than a Tamiya kit at the time). Well, the car didn't live long, so I borrowed money from my parents and bought a classic Mini Cooper. A car I had loved since I saw my kindergarten teacher drive one. I had a few more after school jobs to pay off my debt, and at one point, I had some money saved up and bought a Tamiya M-Chassis based Mini Cooper.
The idea was to make a replica of my real car, but little did I know about painting polycarbonate bodies. Free advice: Never paint an RC body with metallic red and back it with black to make it look darker. It will hardly look darker, just dirtier and it will highlight every single imperfection in the red paintjob. Even if my little kit didn't turn out like I wanted it to at all, my love for RC was alive and kicking again.



Over time, this little car was upgraded a few times. Full ball bearings, limited edition aluminium 4-spoke revolution wheels (the ones I wanted on my real car), a LRP Runner ESC, bigger capacity battery, better tires. It was so much fun to drive, almost as much as my 1:1 Mini. Unfortunately, it was the M03 chassis, and parts/hopup support was mediocre at best. So when I, once again, broke a few parts that would have been pretty expensive to replace, the little Mini was retired. I still have it though, in all its busted up glory. I'll add some pics once I dig it out from the attic.

No comments:

Post a Comment