30 September 2018

RC Dork: The RC history Part 7

The revival.

I had rediscovered another old love, my love for music and over the years this love for music grew into a new hobby: Headphones. This is not really relevant, but I felt like mentioning it so you won't think I spent a decade without hobbies :P
One day, I found my old Corally C4.1 in a box in the attic, I think I was looking for Christmas decorations or something. And the sight of that chassis in that box instantly brought me joy. I immediately knew what to do. I had to revive the old C4.1.

Not mine, but one just like it. Picture courtesy of the internet.

I ordered a bunch of parts to give it new life. A brushless motor with a matching ESC, a new LiPo saddle pack and some new rubber. Well, things had changed a bit over the years. The battery didn't fit any of the standard mounting options so I had to stick it in with dual sided tape, which was a pain, as I didn't want to risk charging in the car. The new motor was so powerful that the ball diffs wore out in the runtime of a single battery and spares were extremely hard to find. I found some compatible parts, but the chassis, while fully featured was a pain to work on if you didn't want to take it apart completely. I had some fun, I wanted more, but I decided to abandon this project to save the chassis for historic purposes. That, and there were even less suitable spots to run an on-road competition grade RC in the area I now lived.
But my son was growing up, and started to show an interest in Monstertrucks on tv.
So, I had an idea. I would buy a small 1:18 scale cheap semi-hobbygrade monstertruck, give off-road a second chance and see if my son would like it too. If we liked it, I planned on buying a nicer monstertruck for myself and passing the small one on to my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment