01 October 2018

Axial SCX10-II (AX90046) Lights

I found some old LED lights that had come with the Basher HellSeeker kit I built for RC Dork Jr. a while back. They were supposed to be mounted on the rollbar, but as RC Dork Jr. is a beginning driver, I didn't want to cause any more weak points in the body by drilling than strictly necessary. So I didn't install the rollbar, and the lights went in the parts box.

But they had 5mm white LEDs, and that was what I needed for the light buckets of the Axial SCX10-II. I cracked open the housing of the LEDs and found that they had a little PCB attached, which had a SMD resistor on it. Cool, that was going to save me some soldering. Unfortunately, due to the PCB, they didn't fit the light buckets properly and made it impossible to use the original brackets to secure the LEDs. So, I'd have to mod the PCBs, or the light buckets. Not wanting to mess up the grille and the lights coming from the parts bin, I decided to just sand down the PCBs until the LEDs properly seated in the light buckets. Now, with a little effort, I was also able to fasten them with the original brackets. I hooked the Y-cable that came with the lights up to the 4th channel of the ESC and there was light!

Goodbye darkness my old friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment