06 October 2018

Axial SCX10-II (AX90046) SSD-RC Pro Aluminium parts and brass axle weights

It has been a while since I actually performed this upgrade, but as it was an upgrade on my main RC, I still wanted to do a write up on it.

The improvement in traction that the wheel upgrade gave me, made me wonder if there would be more to be gained in that area. I experimented a little with adding some improvised weights on the axles and that seemed to improve traction even furter. But my improvised solution didn't do a lot of good for the ground clearance of my rig, so was removed again.

I did some research and ended up ordering a few goodies from SSD-RC.

SSD-RC parts & Yeah Racing hex adapters

Their Pro Aluminium C-Hubs, Steering knuckles and rear lockouts. Plus two sets of their brass axle weights (and a set of Yeah Racing hex adapters).

First I needed to do some disassembly, so off came the wheels, hubs, hex adapters, steering links, steering knuckles, c-hubs and rear lockouts. After that I had to pry the hex spacers out of the hubs as they were hopelessly stuck. 

For the installation of my new parts, I started with the rear end, the fit and finish of these SSD-RC parts is excellent and everything is playing perfectly nice with the original Axial parts. 

SSD-RC Pro Aluminium rear lockout & brass axle weight.

One point of attention is, that if you use locking hex adapters, you need to install them next, as adding the axle weight will block access to the locking screw. As you can see in my pic, I did it the other way round and had to take it back apart to correct this. After that, I could install the wheel hubs and put on the wheels.

Perfect!

Once the rear was done, I continued with the front. One attention point is that with the Pro Aluminium C-Hub mounted, it becomes impossible to undo the lower shock mounting screw.

SSD-RC Pro Aluminium C-Hub installed. Close fit.

Next were the Pro Aluminium steering knuckles. Again, perfect fit, zero problems installing them as long as I payed attention to the straight insertion of the bearings.

SSD-RC Pro Aluminium steering knuckle
The installation of the axle weights on the steering knuckles is the same as installing them on the real lockouts. Hex adapters go first, then the weights go on. After that, the wheel hub can be fitted.

SSD-RC brass weight & DC Chequered flag wheel hub

With all four wheels back on, I take my rig for a testdrive around the backyard. Wow... The difference is HUGE. So much grip, and the center of gravity is quite a bit lower too. I really have to give it my best to get it to tip over.






No comments:

Post a Comment