02 October 2018

RC Dork: The RC history Part 9

Crawling into a new discipline of RC.

Yes, we saw a crawler video on youtube. It looked like fun to the both of us, it was slow enough for the offspring and I figured it would teach him a thing or 2 about steering and throttle control. So I bought a couple of FTX Outback Mini 1:24 scale micro crawlers. And it was an instant hit.

FTX Outback Mini, finally, my own pic :)

Now we weren't ripping up the livingroom, we were tearing it apart to create obstacles and try to get our little crawlers over them. We had finally found *our* RC hobby. My RC hobby had always been about the thrill of the speed, but this crawling, it was so relaxing. The crawler bug bit, and it bit hard. Soon I bought an Axial SCX10-II kit for myself followed by a second SCX10-II (Deadbolt RTR) a few months later. I also joined a local RC club, who have a off-road circuit and a crawler track.

My 2 Axial SCX10-IIs

And hey, whaddaya know, the kid liked crawling too. But I told him, that I wasn't going to buy him anymore RC vehicles for him. He had to want it enough to save up for it himself. He was reluctant at first, because the bar was set pretty high for him. But he stuck with it. To motivate him and to give him some more options to choose from, I told him I'd double his savings if he found the crawler he was going for and stuck with it. And he did it. One day I saw the Carisma SCA-1E Lynx ORV online. I knew my kid would like the styling and the chassis was quite affordable and got decent reviews.

My kids Carisma SCA-1E ORV (after I added some lights)


I showed him some pictures and he fell in love. He would have had to save up all of his allowance to be able to buy it in December, but as there is at least a chance of nice weather now, my better half decided to lend him the money, so he could still enjoy his very own crawler before the weather turns all nasty.

So, that's just about it for my RC story so far. I may have left out a few vehicles, but I'm sure they'll pop up in future posts at some point. I hope you will join me on my (and my kids) further RC journeys.


Greetings,

    RC Dork

No comments:

Post a Comment